Take an exciting virtual adventure with us, as we explore the Animal Tracks & Signs of Africa, written exclusively for WildlifeCampus by world renowned authors – Chris and Mathilde Stuart. Over 1800 pages, featuring hundreds of species; this course takes an in-depth look at tracks, prints, spoor, trails, droppings, feeding signs, kill sites, mud wallowing, rubbing posts, tree scratchings, scent marking, holes, bark-stripping, shed hair, skin & feathers, nests in & out of trees, mammal & invertebrate shelters and skulls.
This course will enhance your enjoyment and understanding of the wild, even when no animals are to be seen.
Module # 1 – Introduction
- Component # 1 – Introduction to Tracks & Signs
Module # 2 – Paws Tracks
- Component # 1 – Paws Without Claws
- Component # 2 – Paws with Claws: Large
- Component # 3 – Paws with Claws: Medium to Large
- Component # 4 – Paws with Claws: Medium
- Component # 5 – Paws with Claws: Medium to Small
- Component # 6 – Paws with Claws: Small + Clusters
Module # 3 – Hands & Feet, Three Toed & Big Game Tracks
- Component # 1 – Hands and Feet
- Component # 2 – Three Toed and Big Game
Module # 4 – Hoof Tracks
- Component # 1 – Cloven Hooves: Large
- Component # 2 – Cloven Hooves: Medium
- Component # 3 – Cloven Hooves: Small
- Component # 4 – Non-Cloven Hooves
Module # 5 – Bird Tracks
- Component # 1 – Bird Tracks: Webbed Feet
- Component # 2 – Bird Tracks: Non-Webbed Feet
Module # 6 – Tramline Trails & Undulating Tracks
- Component # 1 – Tramline Trails & Undulating Tracks
Module # 7 – Droppings
- Component # 1 – Introduction to Droppings
- Component # 2 – Sausage – Shaped Droppings
- Component # 3 – Kidney-Shaped Droppings, barrel, pancake, splash
- Component # 4 – Droppings of Mixed Shape and Form & Bird pellets
Module # 8 – Feeding Signs
- Component # 1 – Prey Remains: Predators & Raptors
- Component # 2 – Other Feeding Signs
Module # 9 – Other Tracks & Signs
- Component # 1 – Other Signs of Past Presence
Module # 10 – Nests, Shelters & Holes
- Component # 1 – Birds’ Nests Not in Trees
- Component # 2 – Birds’ Nests in Trees
- Component # 3 – Mammal Shelters
- Component # 4 – Invertebrate & Other Shelters
Module # 11 – Skulls
- Component # 1 – Introduction to Skulls
- Component # 2 – Insectivores & Bats
- Component # 3 – Primate Skulls
- Component # 4 – Pangolin, Aardvark, Hares & Rodents
- Component # 5 – Foxes, Jackals, Wolves and Wild Dog
- Component # 6 – Otters, Badger, Weasel, Mongooses, Genets and Civets
- Component # 7 – Hyaenas And Cats
- Component # 8 – Large Herbivores, Hyraxes and Marine Mammals Component # 9 – Antelope
Course Cost: ZAR 2,500 or £120*
*Cost based on current exchange rates to the South African Rand (ZAR)
How to Register and Sign Up
- To register click on the ‘Book Course’ button at the top of this page. Registration is FREE and you then have access to your ‘Wildlife Campus Courses Dashboard’
- After registration you can then decide on and purchase a course.
- Once registered you also gain access to FREE COURSES, including The Big 5, Elephants Facts and Fables, Birding by Habitat, Astronomy and more.
CONTACT US for more information on the Tracks and Signs course. We frequently run special offers on combination certificate packed. Please ask about our current specials.
All Course content is available online but may also be downloaded in PDF format (and easily printed) so you don’t have to be online to study. No physical product except certificates earned, are posted to students. All assessment is delivered entirely online and is automated. The assessment which we’ve called “take the test” (top right in each component) consists of between 10 and 30 true/false and multiple-choice questions. There is one test for each of the components of a course. Students may attempt these tests as many times as required until they have achieved the passing mark. Once a test is passed, it cannot be taken again.
Take our courses worldwide! Study online & get trained to work with animals in the UK, Canada, United States, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Europe & more!