In terms of the ecological knowledge required by guides, there are a multitude of available courses, but no other course covers the critical ‘soft skills’ explored in this course.
What differentiates the competent from the truly exceptional and successful guide?
This course has the answers and the skills you may be looking for. Whether you are an aspiring, practicing or professional guide; this course will remind you of why you chose this career to begin with, impart new skills and perspective and will leave you refreshed and re-motivated to provide guiding experiences at the very highest level.
Written and revised by Garth Thompson, one of the world’s best guides, and illustrated with superb humour by Dov Fedler, this course is quite simply a must for every Field Guide and Game Lodge Manager. It is the best investment you can make in the wildlife industry.
Module # 1 – What is Guiding All About?
- Component # 1 – Introduction to Guiding
Module # 2 – The Guiding Industry
- Component # 1 – Ecotourism
- Component # 2 – Where to Begin
- Component # 3 – The Learning Curve
- Component # 4 – Be Prepared
Module # 3 – The Game Drive
- Component # 1 – The Game Drive Part # 1
- Component # 2 – The Game Drive Part # 2
Module # 4 – The Bush Walk
- Component # 1 – Walking Safaris
- Component # 2 – Walking Equipment
- Component # 3 – The Walk
Module # 5 – Principles, Etiquette and Medical Matters
- Component # 1 – Guiding Principles and Etiquette
- Component # 2 – Safari Operations
- Component # 3 – Medical Matters
Module # 6 – Photography, Odds & Ends
- Component # 1 – Photography and Equipment
Module # 7 – Odds & Ends & Feedback
- Component # 1 – Odds and Ends
- Component # 2 – Clients Feedback
Course Cost: ZAR 1,250 or £62*
*Cost based on current exchange rates to the South African Rand (ZAR)
How to Register and Sign Up
- To register click on the ‘Book Course’ button at the top of this page. Registration is FREE and you then have access to your ‘Wildlife Campus Courses Dashboard’
- After registration you can then decide on and purchase a course.
- Once registered you also gain access to FREE COURSES, including The Big 5, Elephants Facts and Fables, Birding by Habitat, Astronomy and more.
CONTACT US for more information on the Guides Guide to Guiding course. We frequently run special offers on combination certificate packed. Please ask about our current specials.
All Course content is available online but may also be downloaded in PDF format (and easily printed) so you don’t have to be online to study. No physical product except certificates earned, are posted to students.
All assessment is delivered entirely online and is automated. The assessment which we’ve called “take the test” (top right in each component) consists of between 10 and 30 true/false and multiple-choice questions. There is one test for each of the components of a course. Students may attempt these tests as many times as required until they have achieved the passing mark. Once a test is passed, it cannot be taken again.
Take our courses worldwide! Study online & get trained to work with animals in the UK, Canada, United States, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Europe & more!